Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Fishcake stir-fry


Oden - Japanese/Korean name for fish cake that's pressed and fried and served in sheets. Oden is used in stir-frys and soups.


This version is a stir-fry.


- 2 sheets of oden defrosted if previously frozen, chopped in bite size pieces

- half onion chopped

- Korean soy sauce (khang-jang - a lighter sweeter soy sauce)

- garlic powder

- chopped garlic

- sugar

- sesame oil

- dashida (beef stock in dry granule form)

- chopped green onion (optional)

- roasted sesame seed (optional)


1. Throw in onion and sautee in a bit of olive oil - one minute.

2. Add oden and constantly stir to avoid burning - 2 minutes.

3. Add garlic, khang-jang, garlic powder, sugar, sesame oil, and dashida.

4. Stir and quickly shut off the heat.

5. Once plated, top off with chopped green onion and sesame seeds.


The end result is a sweet and savory dish that is very easy to enjoy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey, this recipe looks AWESOME! But I live in white trash La so I have to ask: do you think I could substitute the fish cake with frozen chicken? For some reason when I read that recipe frozen chicke screamed out to me for a couple of reasons: 1. Where in BR do I get "Oden" 2. Where can I get Korean Soy sauce?

BTW, I really want to try this recipe! But I'm white trash and I fear the "Oden".