Saturday, March 15, 2008

kimchi jiggae

Ahh kimchi jiggae or kimchi stew, a perfect bowl soothes one's soul during a rainy night or a cold day. The hot temperature coupled with the slight spicyness makes this stew a great comfort food.
Unfortunately, Tony doesn't dig my jiggae too much b/c I don't use tuna. When he makes it w/ tuna, I don't like it at all, so I rather my way than his.
- Older kimchi (stinky! but the older the better!)
- one block soft tofu, cut in cubes
- water
- dashida (beef stock)
- sesame oil
1. Squeeze excessive kimchi juice into a reserve bowl.
2. Chop off kimchi into bite size pieces.
3. Adding sesame oil into pot, sautee kimchi pieces.
4. After about 5 minutes, add water and reserve kimchi juice.
5. Boil 15 minutes.
6. Add dashida and tofu. Stir gently making sure tofu is heated through.
7 If need be, add sugar to taste.
Scoop rice in bowl, add the kimchi jiggae and enjoy! Yaay!

No comments: