Saturday, March 15, 2008

Home-style tortilla chips and BBQ Chicken Pizza


Homestyle BBQ Chicken Pizza

Tony and I *love* Papa John's BBQ Chicken pizza. It's sweet, it's tangy, it's full of so much freakin calories/cholestoral/sodium/ etc. So in a quest to capture the spirit of the BBQ CHIX pizza, I decided to do it at home using everyday items.

- BBQ sauce (Jack Daniel's BBQ bottle)
- mozzerella cheese (8 oz, but used half bag)
- Trader Joe's regular pizza dough ($1.29! A STEAL!!!!)
- thinly sliced white onion
- Sliced white meat chicken (I had leftovers - normally when I buy chicken in bulk, whatever's left I broil/grill, slice, and throw it in freezer)
- olive oil
- a bit of flour for dusting

1. Lightly brush olive oil on a cookie sheet or pizza pan while preheating oven @ 450 F.
2. Dust the counter or cutting board w/ flour.
3. Work w/ the pizza dough and roll it out to the desired size. In my case, I'm using a cookie sheet, so rectangular size it is. Oh yes, I didn't have a roller, so it was all handy work.
4. Spoon on about half a cup of BBQ sauce.
5. Spread chicken evenly.
6. Top off w/ onions.
7. Top off w/ cheese.
8. Lightly brush olive oil on the edge of the pizza dough.
9. Throw it in the oven and bake around 15 minutes or until golden brown.
10.Rest the pizza for 5 minutes before cutting.

The result: Well, I was 3/4 done w/ the pizza consumption until I realised I didn't take any picture! It was great! The cheese was tasty, the BBQ sauce was delicious, and the chicken - well, a bit of freezer burn, but yummy - onions so good! Huge difference between this and Papa John's is the liberal use of bacon! But I rather something a wee bit healthier and not feeling heavy after. Sure it's no Papa John's but...saved money! I spent probably $7.00 on making this pizza versus $18 Papa John's!


Homestyle Baked Tortilla Chips

Personally I think bagged tortilla chips are disgusting. Who would want to eat deep-fried corn tortilla chips full of sodium and what other preservatives??? I love buying salsa in store especially from Costco b/c it's fresh and the ingredients are simple. So instead of dropping $3 a bag, I decided to pick up a pack of flour tortillas at Trader Joe's for $1.49. Here we go:

- Flour tortilla
- olive oil
- salt

1. Preheat oven at 375 F.
2. Take one tortilla and brush one side with olive oil.
3. Salt the tortilla lightly.
4. Flip the tortilla and repeat.
5. Cut tortilla in half and then into 8 pcs.
6. Toss on a baking sheet and throw it in the oven.
7. Bake for 5-10 minutes and then turn over.
8. Take out and let them cool on a rack.
9. Stack and store in an airtight container or throw in on a plate and enjoy!




1 comment:

Unknown said...

OMG, I am so trying this tomorrow!! Although I seriously want the recipe to the sushi picture you posted!